Website Barnes & Noble, Inc.
As an assistant store manager (ASM), you enjoy working with people, are energized by your passion for books and model excellent service every day. As the deputy to the store manager (SM), you focus on the look and consistent presentation of our stores, empowered to make decisions ensuring the shopping experience for our customers is to their satisfaction. You communicate consistently with your SM on your ideas to ensure this experience and drive this through our people, actively participating in bookseller development. In your role, you ensure sales and profit through your ability to leverage resources which results in booksellers who can provide first-class service to our customers. As a leader, you work collaboratively with the team to ensure a store where booksellers are engaged doing what they love: talking about and selling books.
- Ensure a vibrant bookstore through the flawless execution of bookstore basics.
- Communicate with your store team respectfully and with urgency on key issues and messages, creating a culture that demonstrates the values of the company.
- Ensure consistent, friendly and informed service to customers, first by the example you set and second by the training and delivery of first-class service by the store team.
- Model handselling skills to drive successful campaigns such as Our Monthly Picks, preorders, etc., to establish book prowess and drive sales.
- Ensure the achievement of sales goals and deliver operational excellence to maximize efficiency and minimize loss through timely execution of all processes.
- Embrace the cluster structure and work collaboratively with others for betterment of all locations.
- Work on the selling floor, which requires physical activity (i.e., prolonged standing, repetitive bending, lifting, climbing).
- Assess the store from the customer’s perspective and use insight to seek and influence improvement with the SM.
- Ensure compliance to company standards as it pertains to safety, customer communications and all store operations.
- Open and close the building, ensuring the safety of our employees and customers.
- Develop the bookselling team through engagement and coaching; work with team by providing feedback to assess and focus on individual strengths and recommend talent for development in the store.
- Able to delegate and work through others.
- Motivate a team of people through engagement, focused dialogue and feedback.
- Ability to communicate effectively and comfortably.
- Solid bookselling knowledge across various genres and strong understanding of the book industry.
- Deliver honest and constructive feedback.
- Effective organization, planning and prioritization of workload.
- Provide feedback, coaching and development.
- Enthusiasm for books that is reflected in the excellent standards of service for the local community.
- Execute bookstore basics flawlessly.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience building collaborative and productive working relationships at all levels.
- Experience in managing and developing employees at all levels.
Company: Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Redlands, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A