This position is with the Arthropod-Borne Animal Diseases Research Unit in Manhattan, KS. The objective is to use cutting-edge, systems-level approaches to understand the ecology and biology of arthropod pests and pathogens and will contribute directly to national research programs within ARS.
- Develops computational methods to compile and analyze a combination of large molecular, biological and/or ecological data sets through scientifically accepted algorithms to solve the problems involving arthropod pests and arthropod-borne diseases.
- Provides troubleshooting and user support for computer systems and programs needed for bioinformatics analyses. Provides training on the use of systems and programs and works with scientists to prepare pipelines in support of their research.
- Conducts bioinformatics and computational analyses and uses cutting-edge approaches to understand the ecology and biology of arthropod pests and pathogens to develop innovative and biologically-relevant solutions for arthropod-borne disease problems.
- Uses statistical software (e.g., SAS, R, ASREML, etc.) and programming languages (e.g. FORTRAN, C/C++, C#, Perl) for experimental design and the analysis of big data sets.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- You must be a US Citizen or US National
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Direct Deposit: Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
Qualification & Experience:
- Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. OR Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- GS-12: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. The specialized experience requirements for this position include: Experience utilizing foundational principles, theories and practices of bioinformatics, computational biology; Experience applying principles and mechanisms of molecular biology, microbiology, genetics, biochemistry and/or entomology to plan and execute research in arthropod systems and/or arthropod-borne disease and/or microbial pathogen systems.
- GS-13: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. The specialized experience requirements for this position include: Experience assessing the validity and appropriateness of computational and bioinformatics tools, recommending improvements, and developing alternative methods; Experience providing information and technical support; documenting activities and research results; and expressing ideas and facts to individuals and/or groups effectively.
Company: U.S. Department Of Agriculture
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Manhattan, KS, US
Application Deadline: N/A