This position is located in the Mariner Evaluations Division, Professional Qualifications Evaluations Branch at the Coast Guard’s National Maritime Center (NMC). The NMC is the implementation body of the Mariner Credentialing Program (MCP) and receives and processes all applications for U.S. Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMCs). The incumbent serves as the senior specialist in the MCP and provides technical expertise, guidance, and customer support.
- Reconciling contradictions, conflicts and inconsistencies in documentation submitted in support of an application for a Coast Guard issued credential.
- Preparing draft correspondence and technical materials relating to recommendations for updates and corrections to the MCP to higher Coast Guard authorities.
- Reviewing the qualifications of all merchant mariner credential applicants in the MCP program.
- Considering reasonable equivalencies in cases not described in regulations and must perform the necessary research for deviations from standards and make final decisions on credit given.
- A one-year probationary period may be required.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- This position requires a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI).
Qualification & Experience:
- For the GS-07: Applicants must have completed at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-06 level (in the Federal sector). Examples of specialized experience include: Working knowledge of the U.S. justice and court record retrieval procedures unique to each state, and a full understanding of the comparability of each state’s criminal codes sufficient to properly apply complied information to MCP guidelines to determine the applicant’s suitability to be issued a mariner credential. Understanding applicants’ appeal rights provided for in the regulations, as well as guide and assist them in exercising those rights.
- At the GS-06: Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level (in the Federal sector). Examples of specialized experience include: Ability to utilize multiple complex databases. Understand applicants’ appeal rights provided for in the regulations, as well as guid and assist them in exercising those rights.
Company: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Martinsburg, WV, US
Application Deadline: N/A