This position provides food safety expertise and oversight for Meijer & Fresh Thyme retail stores, distribution and manufacturing facilities. Acts as the Region’s primary resource regarding compliance to food safety regulations and Meijer / Fresh Thyme Standard Operating Procedures. Ensures uncompromising food safety performance through science-based HACCP audits of both Meijer and Fresh Thyme facilities, education of team members & leadership on the science behind food safety. Acts as a positive change agent by enhancing the food safety culture within Meijer and Fresh Thyme retail stores, manufacturing and distribution facilities.
- Conducts bacterial control testing and environmental swabbing of equipment using aseptic procedures, as required.
- Assist in the implementation and execution of food safety training programs and examinations.
- Analyzes and compares regional food safety metrics and training performance against company goals and chain-wide performance by facility, in order to assist local leadership teams with the development of science-based action plans for improving food safety program execution.
- Knows State and local food safety code differences and acts as a primary Meijer / Fresh Thyme food safety contact at the State & local level by assisting in the inspection and opening of new stores.
- Oversees and provides food safety guidance, on a regional level, to Meijer and Fresh Thyme Supply Chain regarding product & illness complaints.
- Conducts a minimum of 2-3 annual science-based HACCP Food Safety Audits within Meijer and Fresh Thyme retail stores, as assigned.
- Assists manufacturing & QA staff on an ongoing basis to ensure all regulatory and internal food safety standards regarding the FSMA and SQF are met.
- Conducts food safety inspections of Meijer manufacturing and distribution facilities to ensure compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Good Warehouse Practices (GWPs), as well as the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- Identifies critical food safety breakdowns in operations and/or merchandising procedures and acts as a proactive change agent by proposing possible solutions to food safety leadership for further discussion.
- Provides expert HACCP guidance and instructional knowledge as it relates to food safety and food defense issues within retail, manufacturing and distribution operations.
- Collaborates on a daily basis with other members of the corporate food safety and quality assurance (QA) department to discuss and analyze food safety trends and findings with other regions. Maintains a standardized approach to food safety audits in order to ensure Meijer food safety programs are executed to the highest standards.
- Creates trend analysis reports and prepares presentations for Meijer Supply Chain and Fresh Thyme leadership by facility, as well as by market area, providing an understanding of regional performance against company goals and objectives. Assists in the development and execution of priorities and action plans for continuous improvement.
- Ensures Meijer / Fresh Thyme facilities correctly execute/complete company and regulatory food safety product recall/withdrawal protocols and response procedures.
- Ensures compliance with Weights and Measures program for retail stores, including but not limited to; periodic store level testing and regulatory scale certification requirements.
- Ability to influence positive change behavior without direct authority.
- Working knowledge and demonstrated competency in the process of Hazardous Analysis of Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of local, state and federal safety regulations (FDA, GMP’s, USDA, GAP’s, SQF, etc).
- Ability to establish proactive, collaborative working relationships with organizational leadership as well as public health officials.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision while remaining aligned with corporate food safety programs and goals.
- Must possess strong verbal, written, computer and interpersonal skills.
Qualification & Experience:
- Previous experience working with food safety issues within the retail, distribution or manufacturing environments.
- 3 years or more of working with food safety regulations within the food/retail industry or with a regulatory agency.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Biological Science required. Similar degrees will be considered based on job history and/or applicable experience.
- Experience in and the ability to design, develop & present training programs and trend analysis reporting on food safety.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Grandville, MI, US
Application Deadline: N/A