In Legal Affairs, we strive to attract, develop and retain diverse talent with the potential to be future leaders of our department and of MetLife as a whole. We seek legal and compliance professionals who demonstrate high intellectual capacity to understand complex matters facing our company, combined with strong leadership competencies to motivate and inspire higher performance by all our professionals. We take an active role in developing the skills of our talent and guiding their professional growth. By promoting skill development and career advancement for our professionals we are better positioned to serve our internal business partners and to help achieve MetLife’s vision of becoming a world-class leader in the insurance, retirement savings and employee benefits industries.
- Work with, guide and manage outside counsel representing the company on a wide range of debt and equity transactions, such as loan closings, sales and acquisitions, leasing matters and other loan, asset servicing matters and litigation.
- Assist in the structuring, negotiation and closing of mortgage loans, mezzanine loans, repurchase facilities, loan-on-loan financings and other types of financings, both as a lender and as a borrower.
- Draft and negotiate contracts and documents related to real estate investments, such as loan commitments, joint venture agreements for stabilized and development properties, asset management agreements and leases.
- Counsel business teams involved in all areas of commercial real estate transactional work, new product development, third-party real estate investment management (including the enforcement, restructuring, workout and foreclosure of delinquent or non-performing mortgage loans) and on insurance regulation and compliance matters impacting MetLife’s commercial real estate portfolio.
- Assist in the structuring, negotiation and closing of acquisitions and dispositions of real properties.
- The attorney will join an active Investments Law group in Whippany, New Jersey that assists and advises the MetLife global real estate investments unit on all legal aspects of a sophisticated real estate practice.
- Competencies: Analytical thinking; problem solving; demonstrates technical and functional expertise; exercises sound judgment; builds, and works within, collaborative partnerships; and negotiation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with proven business acumen.
- Proficient in negotiating, drafting and closing complex loans, sales and acquisitions.
- Able to work under limited supervision.
- Ability and willingness to obtain limited licensure as in-house counsel in NJ if not already licensed in NJ.
- Admission to the Bar of at least one U.S. state, territory or the District of Columbia.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously.
Qualification & Experience:
- At least 6 years of relevant work experience with a law firm or in-house.
- JD from an accredited law school.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Whippany, NJ, US
Application Deadline: N/A