Website Ministry of Justice
To provide management and leadership within the National Probation Service(NPS) with responsibility for resources and the operational and strategic direction and management of the Service within a Local Delivery Unit (LDU) or any other operational unit and/or functional area of activity. To represent the Deputy Director with external agencies/Stakeholders and staff as appropriate.
In line with NPS policies and procedures, the job holder must at all times demonstrate a commitment to equality and inclusion and an understanding of their relevance to the work they do.
- Carry out agency responsibilities for victims.
- Lead, innovate and develop local strategies in line with the national strategic framework
- Carry out safeguarding children duties in accordance with the NPS statutory responsibilities and agency policies
- Oversight of the management of complaints within the Operational Function and direct involvement in complaint resolution where necessary
- Work with MOJ/NOMS Communications on a range of products
- Manage resources effectively.
- Effectively lead cluster operational delivery and contribute corporately to national operational delivery and priorities
- Manage competing demands within (geographical) area of responsibility
- Manage devolved budgets in accordance with the financial procedures outlined in the budget delegation
- Responsible for the various functions across the division; including line management of middle managers.
- Work within the aims and values of NPS and NOMS
- Undertake all Human Resources (HR) related policies and practices including overseeing local recruitment, Attendance Management, Disciplinary Investigations, Performance Management and Staff Appraisals, chair grievance and other hearings.
- Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing pro-social behaviour and attitudes and challenging anti-social behaviour and attitudes.
- Represent the NPS at national partnerships and development meetings in line with delegated functional lead and decision making responsibilities.
- Deputise for the Deputy Director as required in the LDU / operational unit functional area of activity
- Implement NOMS equality strategy
- Oversee the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) locally in conjunction with other responsible authorities including the chairing of MAPPA level 3 meetings
- Discharge estates responsibilities for Head of Operational Function
- To make decisions and provide advice on the management of offenders where senior management authorisation or involvement is necessary e.g. authorising the recall of offenders to prison
- Lead the NPS in local strategic partnerships and ensure appropriate representation within wider partnership frameworks
- Work effectively with your respective Divisional Senior Leadership Team and take lead responsibility nationally for specific projects/portfolios
- Knowledge of Health and Safety and Equalities legislation.
- Working with key local agencies and stakeholders to develop strong partner relationships.
- Knowledge of the wider Criminal Justice System.
- Current knowledge of effective practice in managing risk and reducing reoffending
- Preparing high level written reports
- Strategic operational planning through effective deployment of available resources and staff to meet operational demands.
- Responsibility for budgetary control to support local operational requirements.
Qualification & Experience:
- Probation Qualification Framework Graduate Diploma/ Honours Degree in Community Justice integrated with Level 5 Diploma in Probation Practice Or, a qualification which was recognised at the time of qualification by the Secretary of State for Justice as per Section 10 of the Offender Management Act 2007.
- Experience of making complex risk management and public protection decisions
- Significant experience at middle manager level, holding relevant responsibilities in at least two different settings.
- Experience of working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- CQSW (with Probation Option.)
- Diploma in Probation Studies,
- Diploma in Social Work (with Probation Option)
- Substantial experience of line management of staff, including supervision, appraisal and motivating.
Company: Ministry of Justice
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bedford, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A