Ministry of Justice
To assess and manage the risk posed by offenders to protect victims of crime and the general the public by: Providing information and advice to criminal courts, other criminal justice agencies and partner organisations. Supervise offenders subject to community orders and licences and during custodial sentences. Contribute to the management of risk. Work with other agencies and groups to prevent crime and meet the needs of victims and offenders
- To conduct mandatory alcohol and drug tests as required, and to follow prescribed medication procedures
- To work within the aims and values of NPS and NOMS
- To provide professional advice and assessment, including written reports to courts, the Parole Board, other criminal justice agencies and partner organisations
- To use computer based systems to produce, update and maintain records and other documentation within agreed timescales
- Carry out safeguarding children duties in accordance with the NPS statutory responsibilities and agency policies
- Respond to risk escalation requests raised by Community Rehabilitation Companies, determine risk level and if high risk (endorsed by a manager) decide on how this will be managed
- Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing pro-social behaviour and attitudes and challenging anti-social behaviour and attitudes.
- To provide cover within your team and to other teams as required
- To deliver and co-lead accredited programmes commensurate with grade
- To attend professional meetings and represent the NPS at appropriate partnership forums e.g. MAPPA, MARAC
- To undertake the full range of offender management tasks with offenders assessed at all levels of risk of serious harm including high and very high.
- To undertake prison, home or other alternate location visits as required
- To work collaboratively with colleagues, maintain effective team relationships and provide professional guidance and support to Probation Services Officer (PSOs) and other staff as appropriate
- To ensure timely and effective referrals to, and relationships between, offender management, court teams, victim contact units, interventions, Approved Premises, prisons and external agencies to enhance positive outcomes, manage risk and reduce reoffending
- An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh
- An understanding and appreciation of equality
- A working knowledge of relevant legislation and National Standards.
- Knowledge of Evidence Based Practice and risk/needs assessment tools.
- Knowledge and understanding of the work of the Criminal Justice System and the Probation Service.
Qualification & Experience:
- Diploma in Probation Studies; or Diploma in Social Work (Probation option); or CQSW (Probation option)
- Experience of working with individuals and groups in order to motivate and change offending behaviour.
- PQF Honours Degree/Graduate Diploma and Level 5 Diploma in Probation Practice; or
- Experience of working with people who have committed offences.
- Experience of working with a wide variety of people who have experienced a range of social/personal difficulties.
- Experience of working with diverse communities including promoting equality and valuing diversity.
Company: Ministry of Justice
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Sheffield, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A