Website Norfolk Southern
Carmen’s work shall consist of rail car inspection and maintenance in accordance with FRA and AAR Regulations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk long distances over uneven terrain and sit for extended periods of time; reach for tools and objects with hands and arms; climb in the back of vehicles; stoop, kneel, or crouch; in all types of weather conditions. The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and be able to demonstrate how to properly use basic mechanic tools. The employee must be able to demonstrate proper welding and cutting techniques indoors and outdoors.
- Obtain information from computer regarding car components, destination, lading, and repair records and/or to file data such as repair information, bad orders and car releases.
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety and operations.
- Must qualify in SMAW and FCAW welding processes that include 2F, 3F and 4F positions.
- Operate various vehicles, maybe required to obtain CDL for operation of Rewheel truck.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
- Able to proficiently use cutting torch in all positions.
- Operate forklifts, light cranes, and car moving equipment.
- Repair, remove, or replace defective components such as wheels, safety appliances, truck and brake equipment, couplers, yokes, draft gears, and air brake valves; weld broken parts or secure new parts.
- Straighten, fabricate and replace steel parts such as: grab irons, handholds, ladders, ladder brackets, and sill steps.
- Inspect car components for compliance with AAR and FRA standards.
- Rerail cars and locomotives by using rerailing equipment and perform other work associated with wreck service on the railroad.
- Inspect, measure, and secure lading in accordance with AAR open top rules.
- Perform Class I brake test and Single car test in accordance with FRA Regulation 232.
- Time Management
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Mechanical aptitude
- Soft computer skills
- Understand oral and written communication
Qualification & Experience:
- Welding and fabrication experience
- Mechanical experience
- High school diploma or GED
Company: Norfolk Southern
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: St Louis, MO, US
Application Deadline: N/A