Applies superior technical expertise in engineering risk assessment principles and creative analytical ability to perform multi-dimensional systematic risk analysis in an often ambiguous and complex environment. Functions as a company expert in Risk and Threat assessment and potentially in other critical engineering disciplines. Provides increasingly integrated, data-driven and quantified safety and reliability assessments covering the full spectrum of Integrity Management Program assets including Transmission Pipeline Integrity Management Program (TIMP), Storage Integrity Program (SIMP), Distribution Integrity Management Program (DIMP) and Risk Assessment and Facilities Integrity Management Program (FIMP). Leverages a high level of technical expertise across a broad range of engineering disciplines to enable effective likelihood of failure and consequence of failure modeling. Integrates and balances findings in consideration of the full Integrity Management System, safety, regulatory compliance, and business need. Identifies and measures the effects of Preventative & Mitigative actions on system threats.
- Provides technical advice and may formally supervise a few less experienced staff members and reviews technical results, evaluations and analyses. Provides for the development of less experienced staff within the work group through mentoring and providing technical guidance.
- Functions as a company expert in risk and threat assessment and potentially in some of the above specific engineering disciplines. Uses in-depth knowledge in regulations, standards, and evaluation of risk regarding integrity management programs to provide technical expertise to various project teams in System Integrity, Gas Engineering and Gas Operation Organizations. Leverages comprehensive understanding of different organizations in engineering and operations, and their distinct processes, services, and responsibilities to effectively lead and advise cross-functional teams. Manages and directs programs and/or projects that span multiple departments which provide department, division, or company-wide benefits. Makes decisions with impact on activities of his or her organization. Develops vision and directs team members, both Company employees and outside contractors, to achieve results and goals. Integrates input from, and participation with, various departments within the Company as needed to meet project objectives. May participate in the development of testimony for regulatory proceedings.
- Communicates complex information with all levels of stakeholders, including senior management presentations. Confidently conveys thoughts, ideas, and/or solutions to management, while being respectful and mindful of other’s contributions to the same discussion. Influences other leaders across the organization, as well as external stakeholders, to accomplish objectives.
- Interprets state and federal codes, industry standards and Company specifications. Participates in industry and regulatory committees, and provides technical input to external regulatory agencies for the review of proposed changes to regulatory requirements affecting codes and standards. Recommends modifications to Company policy and procedures that reflect regulatory changes. Stays abreast of the latest changes, trends and technological advancements in the industry through attendance at conferences and seminars, continuing education, literature, etc.
- Develops new and improves existing Company standards, specifications, procedures and policies governing TIMP, SIMP, FIMP and DIMP, specifically regarding Threat Identification and Risk Assessment. Develops new programs related to research & development which may result from risk and threat analysis.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Performs Threat Evaluation and Risk Assessment of mature and complex Transmission Pipelines, Storage, Facilities and Gas Distribution Assets by applying engineering risk assessment principles toward increasingly integrated, data-driven, and quantified safety and reliability. Performs work with a high degree of autonomy and only high-level guidance and review of higher impact work for progress towards objectives. Aggregates results, in an often ambiguous environment and circumstances, from a broad range of technical disciplines, including but not limited to:- Geotechnical- Structural integrity/reliability theory- Assessment including non-destructive evaluation- Corrosion control, Fracture mechanics- Materials science, Statistics- Machine learning- Pipeline design- Human factorsTranslates complex results into a unified and integrated risk framework that clearly expresses threat likelihood, consequence, and business value (return on investment) balanced with safety and regulatory compliance. Creates solutions to highly complex issues independently or leads effort to collaboratively develop them.
- Creativity, Innovation & Problem Solving: Must demonstrate ability to review complex problems, open-ended problems, and propose innovative solutions, which involve technical, operational, economic and strategic issues, and may link new concepts and technologies. Advanced
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the state of California (PE) Preferred
- Knowledge of federal code, state code and other industry standards relating to natural gas business. Advanced
- Project Management Skills: Must possess developed project management skills (e.g., leadership, communication, team management, scheduling, negotiation, decision-making, problem-solving, cost control, risk management, adaptability, execution) and concepts, and understands how it applies to their work. Intermediate
- Communication Skills: Possesses advanced oral and written communication skills. Advanced
- Engineering & Technical Knowledge: Must be able to understand and analyze highly theoretical problems which are difficult to define, have rapidly changing variables, and for which engineering precedents are incomplete or lacking. Advanced
Qualification & Experience:
- Master’s Degree Engineering or Mathematics Preferred
- 8 years Engineering experience including 4 yrs related to risk or reliability or threat evaluation or integrity management. Required
- 10 years Engineering experience including 6 yrs related to risk or reliability or threat evaluation or integrity management. Required OR
- Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Engineer in Training (EIT) Preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required
- Preferred focus on integrity management and/or risk engineering. Preferred
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A