The packaging machine operator contributes to Starbucks success by operating within the coffee manufacturing process in the Amsterdam Roasting Plant. This person makes sure to produce safely the finest quality coffee and packaged product as defined by the schedule. The packaging machine operator models and acts according to the Starbucks guiding principles.
Together with the team, the packaging machine operator is responsible for producing great quality coffee in a safe way. A trained packaging machine operator has end-to-end knowledge of the coffee production process and will rotate their responsibilities in this process
- Monitor and document quality measures using analytical tools, such as Minolta (coffee color) profile;
- Updating administration. Making sure product administration is up-to-date. For example, system inventory transfers, adjustments, cycle counts, scrap administration, log downtime reasons, etc;
- Coordinating with logistics department and front desk to ensure on-time and in-full adherence to shipping schedule;
- Controlling good use of raw material storage space
- Operating PIT (Powered Industrial Trucks) equipment such as forklift, reachtruck, pallet stacker in a safe way.
- Performing routine inspection of powered industrial trucks;
- Conducting internal recall investigations for product not meeting specifications;
- Performing a range of shipping and receiving tasks including loading and unloading of trailers
- Taking Ownership. Coordinating team of operators on assigned equipment to ensure all tasks are performed safely and efficiently. Taking corrective action when issues arise, or unsafe situations are identified;
- Controlling efficient use of green coffee storage space (both floor and silos). Overseeing green coffee deliveries by 3rd party logistics, and clearing silo space as needed by bagging off coffee.
- Ensuring that package appearance, labeling, seals, and case and pallet configurations comply with product specifications and quality standards;
- Multiskilling in the functional areas within the manufacturing process – green loading, roasting, packaging and warehousing. Understanding the total process and rotating responsibilities within the coffee manufacturing process;
- Conducting troubleshooting, roaster preventative (autonomous) maintenance and cleaning activities, such as thermal cleaning of the roasters.
- Flagging green coffee inventory issues. This requires looking ahead to green loading requirements and ensuring inventory accuracy;
- Coordinating between other process team members in roasting, packaging, and warehouse to meet the daily schedule.
- Complying to Food Safety standards. Maintaining coffee quality through adherence to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) guidelines, product specifications and quality procedures;
- Operating Advanced Coffee Roasting System (ACRS) on roast theory, roast improvement techniques and fine-tuning roast parameters within plant.
- Meeting Scheduled Targets. Achieve scheduled throughput to meet team KPIs. Work disciplined in line with process standards to produce reliable and within budget standards;
- Ensuring compliance with Starbucks roast profiles. Understanding and monitoring how roast curves affect coffee flavor profile;
- Tracking incoming shipments and putting raw material in correct storage location (incl. system transactions)
- Acting as ambassador of coffee in the organization, telling the coffee story with expertise and passion. Lead coffee tastings and plant tours. Developing strong knowledge of green to cup processing (e.g. Coffee Master).
- Familiarity with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) standards;
- Proficiency in operating manufacturing equipment, including technically advanced equipment;
- Ability to work in accordance with quality, safety, and sanitation standards, policies and guidelines;
- Ability to create a positive team environment by being a team player with a learning mindset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows (Teams, Word, Excel & Outlook) and Internet environments;
- Mechanical aptitude to troubleshoot minor machine failures and make minor adjustments;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, both in Dutch and English;
- Ability to compile and interpret data and identify trends;
- A comprehensive understanding of quality specifications and standards;
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills;
Qualification & Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated experience in process technology, within a similar and preferably international environment.
- MBO4 or HBO degree;
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
Application Deadline: N/A