Website State Farm
The Scouting Team in Labs @ State Farm is made up of associates with vast experience within and outside of State Farm. Team members are currently located in Silicon Valley and Bloomington, and they serve as active members of startup, technology, and innovation ecosystems. In 2021 alone, the team actively engaged with over 1,500 startups across the globe, resulting in 180 referrals to business areas within the Enterprise. The Scouting Team researches trends, identifies opportunities for innovation, provides deal flow to State Farm Ventures, and contributes to the Labs mission to advance what’s possible.
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise on a variety of technologies (Mobility, AI/ML, Data Analytics, IoT, etc.) and understand its likely impact to our customers and our business.
- Handle multiple priorities and work efforts at one time.
- Initiate NDAs and work with appropriate contacts in Labs and Purchasing to ensure timely execution.
- Conduct secondary technology research from a variety of sources — including analysis of startups/companies, solutions, key people, financials, business plans, intellectual property, and partnerships.
- Curate insights about trends, the potential impact to State Farm, and identify opportunities for innovation.
- Collaborate with other analysts on completing their assignments.
- Participate in complex work assignments and contribute to deliverables or strategic assignments.
- Build and maintain key relationships within Labs and across State Farm.
- Produce reports and presentations on research findings and scouting work intended for a variety of audiences.
- Manage and maintain tools for research, identifying trends and tracking companies/deal flow
- Coordinate events, demo days, and networking opportunities for internal and external teams.
- Provide research and insights to State Farm Ventures regarding startups as targets for potential targets for investment.
- Strong associative thinking skills. (i.e., able to “connect the dots”, seeing the potential impact and opportunities associated with new tech, trends, products, solutions, etc.)
- Familiarity in a variety of technologies (Mobility, AI/ML, Data Analytics, IoT, etc.) or fields related to insurance (Mobility/Transportation, Residential, Health, etc.) is a plus.
- Proven track record of conducting secondary research from a variety of sources and synthesizing that into a cohesive narrative.
- Familiarity with Corporate Venture Capital (CVC), startups and/or financial due diligence is a plus.
- Strong verbal communication skills — sharing perspectives with the team and managing relationships with external industry contacts.
- Strong written communication skills — creating reports, presentations, and other visuals to showcase information about trends, companies, or markets.
Company: State Farm
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Richardson, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A