Website US Postal Service
Cases, delivers, and collects mail along a prescribed rural route using a vehicle; provides customers on the route with a variety of services.
- Sells stamps, stamped paper and money orders; accepts C.O.D., registered, certified, and insured mail and parcel post; furnishes routine information concerning postal matters and provides requested forms to customer.
- Conducts special surveys when required.
- Provides for mail security at all times.
- Returns mail collected, undeliverable mail, and submits monies and receipts to post office.
- Loads mail in vehicle.
- Maintains an inventory of stamps and stamped paper as needed to provide service to customers on the route.
- Delivers mail to customers along a prescribed route and on a regular schedule by a vehicle; collects monies and receipts for accountable mail; picks up mail from customers’ roadside boxes.
- Receives and signs for accountable mail.
- Prepares mail for forwarding amd maintains records of change of address information.
- Sorts mail in delivery sequence for the assigned route.
- Prepares a daily trip report and maintains a list of the customers on the route.
Desirable candidates may be required to have a vehicle suitable for use and live within easy commuting distance of the facility location. Work is performed indoors and outdoors in all types of weather. Carriers may be required to load and unload trays and containers of mail and parcels weighing as much as 70 pounds. Work is available usually on Saturdays, then on an as needed basis to cover the absence of the carrier. Applicants must be physically able to efficiently perform the duties of this position, which require arduous exertion involving prolonged standing, walking, bending and reaching, and may involve handling heavy containers of mail weighing up to the allowable maximum mailing weight. They must maintain a neat and professional appearance and demeanor in such interactions. Applicants must have a valid state driver’s license and demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record.
Company: US Postal Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Emporia, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A