Website US Postal Service
Loads, unloads, and moves bulk mail and performs other duties incidental to the movement and processing of mail
- Places empty sacks or pouches on racks, labels them where prearranged or where racks are plainly marked, dumps mail from sacks, cuts ties, faces letter mail, carries mail to distributors for processing, places processed mail into sacks, removes filled sacks and pouches from racks and closes and locks sacks and pouches. Picks up sacks, pouches, and outside pieces, separates outgoing bulk mails for dispatch and loads mail onto trucks.
- Operates equipment and machinery assigned to the jurisdiction of the Mail Handler Union.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- In addition, may perform any of the following duties: make occasional simple distribution of parcel post mail that requires no scheme knowledge; operate electric fork lifts; rewrap damaged parcels; weigh incoming sacks; clean and sweep work areas, offices rest rooms, and trucks where work is not performed by a regular cleaner.
- Assists in supply and slip rooms and operates copy machine and related office equipment.
- Unloads mail from trucks. Separates all mail received from trucks and conveyors for dispatch to other conveying units and separates and delivers mail for delivery to distribution areas.
- Handles and sacks empty equipment; inspects empty equipment for mail and restrings sacks.
- Cancels stamps on parcel post, operates cancelling machines, and carries mail from cancelling machine to distribution area.
Applicants must be physically able to perform efficiently the duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Duties require arduous exertion involving lifting, carrying, prolonged standing, walking, pushing, bending and reaching, and may involve the handling of heavy containers of mail and parcels weighing up to 70 pounds. Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service’s requirement to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Company: US Postal Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Seattle, WA, US
Application Deadline: N/A